AboutAlternatives Impact is the 501(c)3 affiliate of Alternatives Federal Credit Union. We raise funds to support community programs and a shared mission: To build wealth and create economic opportunity for under-served people and communities.
Alternatives Community Programs & 2013 Impact
- Business CENTS (Community Enterprise Networking and Training Services): resource center offering “Getting Down to Business” course, workshops, consultation, networking - 331 participants, including 229 women and 80 self-identified minorities.
- The Free Tax Preparation Program (VITA): free service where volunteers help eligible tax filers receive their maximum available tax credit - 1833 tax filers served by 61 volunteers; $3.8 million returned to Tompkins County.
- Individual Development Accounts (IDAs): “matched” savings accounts and financial education that help people build assets (higher education, first home, small business) - 90 new accounts open; 40 accounts closed to purchase first home, microenterprise or higher education.
- MoneyWise: 7-week course provides adults with tools to confront and conquer personal financial challenges - Four sessions held, 77 MoneyWise graduates.
- Student Credit Union: financial education and savings program for school-age children and youth in Tompkins County - 561 students saving weekly in 11 Tompkins County schools (public, private, home school) served by 74 volunteers.